The Government of Canada passed new legislation to enhance hiring opportunities for certain serving and former members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF). The new law, known as the Veterans Hiring Act, is expected to come into force by September 2015.
Changes as a result of the Veterans Hiring Act
- Veterans of the CAF who are medically released due to a service-related injury or illness will be given the top level of priority for access to job openings in the public service.
- The duration of priority access for all medically released CAF members will be extended from two years to five years.
- Honourably released CAF members who served for at least three years will have increased access to federal public service job opportunities.
- Qualified CAF members will be given priority in advertised, external hiring processes for up to five years after their release date.
- Qualified CAF members and veterans will be able to participate in advertised, internal hiring processes for up to five years after their release date.
To determine your eligibility and for more information contact Veterans Affairs Canada.